Featured Post

Long Tweet: Change and Hope

They say there hasn’t been any change during the first term of President Barack Obama, and I have to disagree...

Pages

Friday, November 5, 2010

Long Tweet: We need a new form of protest


Nope *smh* I'm not buying that the President believes the "people have spoken," nor do I believe that the President thinks Republicans are ready to "compromise."


Watching the corpwhore media ramble on about how "angry" the "American People" are and attributing this anger to the misled and race-based Tea party "Movement," all the while airing sound bites of elect house members emphatically stating their unwillingness to compromise with the sitting President, you would have to be as dumb as Sarah Palin to believe that Republicans are ready to compromise. "Compromise" to the Republican Party is; not regulating corporations, not taxing corporations, and getting rid of unions—long story short—profits first.


The People have spoken. We've been speaking since the Bush Administration's inception, (and in many instances, before) about a myriad of issues that do not serve the corporate structure. We want out of these wars, we want better education, we want our jobs back from India and China with competitive salaries and benefits, we want police brutality ended, drugs and guns removed from inner cities, we wanted healthcare for all and an abolishment of usury rates, we did not want bailouts, we want the rich to pay their fair share, and we definitely did not want a "favorable for corporations" ruling in the Citizen's United case. There is not enough bandwidth to voice our unheard grievances, yet, after a run-of-the mill election, I'm supposed to believe, that the President believes, that the voice he was hearing was that of the Tea Party??? Nope. *smh* I'm not buying it.


The People are quite aware that the voices that were loudest were funded by the corporate structure. We are quite aware that this corporate-backed voice's raised decibels were due to a mainstream media that is also funded by this corporate structure. We are also aware that this failed "fourth branch" gave credence to the craziest, most racist and ill-informed Americans in this country. So, what do we do? Protest--who would cover it? We've got to rethink our form of protest. Unless sensational, there is no way to garner the attention of mainstream media and, in turn, no way to reach those not tuned into the urgency of self representation. As an aside, I've been going to protests since I was 12/13 years old and I've seen legitimate protests co-opted by special interest groups that had nothing to do with the nature of protest I was willing to engage in. I've never been that scattered with my energies. Besides, there is something about having to procure a permit to protest social ills that produces a taste of bile in my mouth.


Listen, I don't have a definitive answer but I do have a concept and it is a concept based on a constant exhibition of our angst. For instances, I for one am willing to attach a blue flag to the antennae of my automobile that represents the small "d" democracy where, a "government by the people" is the ideal achieved through "the absence of hereditary or arbitrary class distinctions or privileges." I envision a sea of blue flags waving in the wind on all highways and byways of America. I would also be willing to carry a placard expressing my dissatisfaction with the status quo. Something like, "I'm being ignored by President Obama," or "The Republican Party Will Never Compromise." Throughout the remaining days of the Obama administration's tenure, the party of "No" will continue to stall the President's agenda giving us ample opportunity to revise our placard messages. I can actually see; city streets, trains, and buses filled with people going about their daily business carrying signs of silent protest.


Are we not worthy of achieving the freedoms America's "forefathers" envisioned for their own function? Each one of us is responsible for our circumstances and what we allow to be done to our condition is our own doing. A feeling of powerlessness is debilitating. The ruling structure relies on cognitive dissonance. Do we create our own realities or allow others to benefit from our stifled dreams? We can use the tools provided to either rise or remain stagnate. Protests no longer have to be date and time stamped. It can be done immediately, like right NOW. It can be personal.


Look, I've already attached my blue flag to my automobile's antennae. I wish I had all the answers.  What are you gonna do? I'll probably do that too.


Hmmm,
maybe, #ImBeingIgnoredByPresidentObama should be a trending topic?